Environmental legislation, the need for energy efficiency, and safety requirements are currently the main drivers for customers’ actions towards developing their businesses in a more sustainable way.
Wärtsilä Services strives to be a leader in supporting its customers’ efforts to meet and exceed current and future business and sustainability demands. This is the essence of Wärtsilä Services’ role as regards sustainability: we continuously develop the offering in order to provide customers with solutions that will enable them to run their businesses and grow in the most sustainable way.
Furthermore, Wärtsilä conducts its business in a responsible way, including providing services from locations in close proximity to the customers’ installations, and by investing and offering employment opportunities in local communities.
Energy efficiency and emissions
The increasing availability of alternative liquid fuels and gas, together with stricter environmental and safety requirements, creates opportunities for the Services business to improve the operational efficiency of customer installations, while at the same time reducing their environmental impact. Wärtsilä develops and provides services, such as upgrades, reconditioning projects, fuel conversions, and retrofit solutions, which improve both fuel efficiency and environmental performance. This enables compliance with stringent environmental legislation while extending the operational lifetime of the application.
For existing installations, a set of primary upgrading solutions are available, including:
- Engine, propulsion, or electrical & automation system efficiency upgrade packages that reduce fuel and/or lube-oil consumption, thereby contributing to lower emissions and the generation of economic benefits.
- Low NOx solutions that combine various engine modifications designed to find the ideal combination of compression ratio, injection timing, and injection rate. The concept has been developed so as to achieve the best possible trade-off between NOx reduction and fuel consumption.
- The conversion of propeller shaft sealing systems to an anti-pollution version that eliminates the risk of water pollution.
- Diesel to gas conversions that considerably reduce emissions from the installation. The conversion of heavy fuel oil or marine diesel oil installations to operate on natural gas offers extended benefits.
For new and existing installations, secondary methods are available to integrate additional emissions abatement equipment. Wärtsilä Services provides unparalleled environmental solutions, as well as the field experts needed for their installation and commissioning.
Optimising the environmental efficiency of customer operations
Wärtsilä’s offering goes beyond retrofits, upgrades, conversions, and field service expertise. Solutions supporting the lifecycle approach allow Wärtsilä to offer customers guarantees for reduced fuel consumption, and hence have a direct impact on reducing emissions. Furthermore, the Wärtsilä Genius and Eniram optimisation services enable increased competitiveness and effectiveness in daily operations with real-time efficiency and emissions abatement improvements. To name just a few concrete examples:
- Engine efficiency monitoring: the bridge/dashboard monitor indicates specific fuel oil consumption to create awareness of fuel usage, and to enable a vessel’s crew to make the necessary operational adjustments to optimise the consumption. Measuring fuel consumption online, visualising it, and comparing it to other performance data over time is the first step towards energy efficiency monitoring plan services for ships.
- Trim optimisation: provides an indication to the bridge/dashboard of the optimal vessel trim. Real-time optimisation of the ship’s trim provides significant fuel savings, thereby contributing to lower levels of emissions.
- Hull and propeller cleaning interval optimisation: calculates the optimal cleaning dates for the hull and propeller. This service results in the avoidance of substantial fuel consumption increases caused by surface roughness, and hence enables emissions optimisation.
- Fleet optimisation: combining Wärtsilä’s data intelligence and analytics with the seafaring experience of the ships’ crews enables the optimisation of the energy efficiency and overall performance level of entire fleets.